Senior Director of Revenue Cycle
The Senior Director of Revenue Cycle will lead the overall policies, objectives and initiatives of the hospital’s patient access, health information systems, billing and collections and enhancement of payor contracting and relations. This position will report to the Chief Financial Officer, and will be responsible for the directing tasks, communication and managing interactions with stakeholders, enhancing complex client relationships and achieving support and agreement from involved parties across SPS and client revenue cycle operations.
Reporting to this position are Director of Patient Accounts, Director of Patient Access, Director of Revenue Cycle Systems, Director of HIM & Coding.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Interacts internally with staff, executive management, department heads and hospital & university officials. Interacts externally with healthcare providers, third-party agencies, collection agencies, federal and local agencies, regulating agencies, vendors, consultants, and the general public.
- Provide leadership to ensure timely, efficient, and accurate processing of claims; timely initial billing, follow-up, payment posting, denial management, self-pay A/R and bad debt program management.
- Develop mechanisms to assess and measure service levels and patient satisfaction.
- Define and implement programs and initiatives to support revenue cycle optimization
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Demonstrated successful managerial experience in managing large business office production shops in a service center environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; present information and respond to questions from patients, hospital personnel, physicians and the public.
- Demonstrated proficiency in situational and change leadership, effective fiscal management, resource allocation, strategy and planning within a dynamic environment.
- Knowledgeable in information systems technology including implementation, change control and manipulation of data.
- Competence in both oral and written English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- Must demonstrate collaboration; accountability; respect; excellence; and service.
- Works with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors; looks for ways to achieve departmental/institutional results by partnering.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions to provide health care and or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
- Embraces diversity; cares holistically for those we serve; treats all as we would like to be treated; manages the patient’s right to privacy with meticulous care 100% of the time and keeps patient and proprietary information about the institution confidential.
- Anticipates the patient’s and student’s needs, presents as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our customers.
- Behaves in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all they encounter; treats patients, students and visitors in the same way that they would want their family members or themselves to be treated.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Healthcare, or related discipline OR equivalent of education and experience required.
At least 10 years of related experience. Experience working with complex and sophisticated reimbursement methodologies and with complex or sophisticated contracts. Related governmental reimbursement experience
Extensive knowledge and experience in revenue cycle operations and receivables management
Experience solving difficult problems relating to reimbursement, audit discrepancies, contract modeling, revenue cycle functions.
Human Resources Management skills to hire and train employees, appraise work performance, address employee relations issues, and resolve problems.