National Director, Research, Evaluation & Data
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective National Director, Research, Evaluation & Data Analytics to lead efforts to improve health care delivery and outcomes across the Federation through sexual and reproductive health research, evaluation, and data, with a focus on health services research, patient-centered outcomes research, clinical research, and healthcare analytics, as well as support for affiliate-led research. Reporting to the Vice President of Public Health & Strategic Operations, the National Director oversees the development and implementation of a unified data strategy that increases access to data, improves data reporting, advances data analytics, and increases data literacy across the Federation. The ideal candidate will be a proven leader in sexual and reproductive health research, and will be well versed in both the literature and a full range of clinical, policy, and other types of research methodologies. They will help the Federation apply an equity lens to all areas of data and research work by adopting new approaches that are inclusive and equitable. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have demonstrated management and relationship building skills to ensure the successful integration of research, evaluation, and data analytics with the mission and operations across the full Federation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Defines and leads the overall strategy and direction for the Research, Evaluation & Data Analytics Department; leads and advises staff, affiliates, and consultants to ensure that research, evaluation, and data strategies are inclusive, equitable, and align with Federation goals.
- Leads a multidisciplinary team of research, evaluation, and data experts, including doctoral and master’s level staff, fellows, analysts, and consultants.
- Identifies and pursues strategic opportunities to expand the reach, accessibility, and impact of research and data analytics at PPFA and affiliates and the sexual and reproductive health field overall through innovative dissemination strategies both internally within the Federation and externally, in partnership with Communications.
- Develops and fosters relationships to ensure that PPFA continues to be a trusted partner and leader in sexual and reproductive health research; cultivates new partnerships with leading academic institutions, research organizations, and industry partners. In partnership with the Development Division, liaises with current and potential donors to secure general and grant support.
- Provides oversight and leadership for clinical research, multicenter studies, and initiatives to improve affiliate capacity to conduct research and utilize data in an ethical, culturally competent and inclusive way, with respect for the needs of health center staff and patients alike.
- Leads or oversees the development of project-based research designs and mentors senior research staff in developing project and analysis plans; serves as Principal Investigator (PI) for original research and evaluation studies.
- Designs and leads efforts to expand evaluation and impact assessment across the national office; works closely with leadership across the national office to develop and report on meaningful metrics and enhance capacity for outcomes measurement.
- Designs and oversees implementation of standardized and unified Federation-wide strategy to collect, track, and report critical health service and operations data from Affiliates and Health Centers. Provide supervision to the Senior Director of Data Strategy and Governance whose main responsibility is to build the organization's data analytic capacity and standards; measure health service trends and outcomes at national, state, and community levels; increase national office and affiliate staff access to meaningful data; and increase data coordination across the National Office and affiliates.
- Applies an equity lens to all areas of work. This includes identifying opportunities to use data and research to advance health equity, while also ensuring that all data and research practices are inclusive, equitable and community-centered. Oversees the development and execution of innovative strategies that goes beyond traditional patient engagement methods and brings community members into the center of the research process as trusted and equal partners.
- Partners with other teams across PPFA, including public policy and litigation, to ensure organizational considerations are reflected in research review and dissemination.
- Authors research protocols, conference presentations/abstracts, and publications.
- Represents Planned Parenthood at external meetings, professional conferences, and advisory groups; serves as media spokesperson upon request.
- Serves as a member of the Health Care Division Senior Leadership team and contributes expertise and thought partnership to broader organizational strategy.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Doctoral Degree required in a related discipline.
- Demonstrated and progressive senior management experience in research and outcomes-based evaluation within the public health field; 5–10 years of progressive senior management experience.
- 15 years of experience in research and evaluation and proven history of research publications, grant writing, and reports in the area of sexual and reproductive health.
- Proven ability to balance traditional research functions and management and supervision functions equally.
- Strong experience with development of inclusive and equitable research/evaluation/study design and implementation.
- Must have demonstrated capability in developing collaborative approaches to program development, establishing policies and procedures and ability to support project evaluation in a multi-stakeholder environment. This includes experience with equitable data collection and methods.
- Significant experience in quantitative analysis including software and programming such as SPSS, STATA, or other statistical programs. Experience with qualitative research methods required.
- Demonstrated success in designing and implementing effective and inclusive health outcomes research related projects and metrics. Emphasis preferred in sexual and reproductive health areas.
- Requires a high level of knowledge of concepts related to research and study management, including research regulations, Institutional Review Boards, FDA, and Code of Federal Regulations guidelines.
- Requires working knowledge of reproductive health, reproductive justice, health equity and the core medical services provided by Planned Parenthood affiliates. Should have a solid understanding of the health care delivery system.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Has a clear passion and commitment to advance racial equity and social justice through research and data. This includes a demonstrated understanding of how inequities can be perpetuated in traditional research and data approaches, and a commitment to prioritizing communities of color by building ethical, inclusive, and equitable approaches that uplifts community strengths and assets, while building collective power.
- Exceptional communication (oral/written) skills and interpersonal skills; comfort and ease with public speaking with large and small audiences. Ability to effectively interact with non-analytic audiences regarding analytic findings; understands how to tell a story to engage an audience towards supporting a recommendation. This includes framing disparities through a structural and strengths based lens in order to avoid further perpetuating negative and false stereotypes and beliefs.
- Committed to ensuring that data and research is accessible and shared frequently with communities to further build on their power and strengths.
- High degree of independence, flexibility, initiative, and commitment.
- Ability to effectively manage competing priorities, motivate others, and function in a complex and evolving environment.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with diverse partners within and across the organization, as well as external partnerships.
- Ability to lead cross-cutting teams in a highly-collaborative environment.
- Must be comfortable charting new territory and developing vision and strategy for research, evaluation, and data analytics that is grounded in racial equity and social justice in a non-clinical national office environment.
- Strong and demonstrated commitment to the Planned Parenthood mission.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.