Director of Human Resources, Queens Hospital & Elmhurst Hospital
Empower Every New Yorker — Without Exception — to Live the Healthiest Life Possible
NYC Health + Hospitals is the largest public health care system in the United States. We provide essential outpatient, inpatient and home-based services to more than one million New Yorkers every year across the city’s five boroughs. Our large health system consists of ambulatory centers, acute care centers, post-acute care/long-term care, rehabilitation programs, Home Care, and Correctional Health Services. Our diverse workforce is uniquely focused on empowering New Yorkers, without exception, to live the healthiest life possible.
NYC Health + Hospitals is seeking a Director of HR to manage the comprehensive human resources functions for both Elmhurst Hospital & Queens Hospital Center.
The HR Director will advise, partner, and proactively recommend solutions to both facilities’ leadership and management teams, as well as serve as an internal consultant in the areas of employee engagement/retention and performance management.
The HR Director will also oversee and manage the day-to-day administration of the HR department for both facilities, including (but not limited to): on-boarding, off-boarding, employment, performance management, regulatory compliance, records management, volunteer administration and workforce data analytics.
- Plans, administers and supervises all comprehensive HR functions including activities in recruitment, onboarding, employee development, employee recognition, performance evaluation, workforce development, span of control, staffing and assessment, etc.
- Works directly with senior executives and management teams to lead, manage, influence and shape organizational change
- Consults with and advises the facilities’ leadership on HR related matters, including policies and procedures
- Partners with senior administrative team to System corporate goals with the facilities business goals
- Participates in performance improvement initiatives
- Participates in HR developmental value stream activities
- Acts as HR authority to initiate immigration visa requests for new hires
- Provides input in human resources policies and procedures, management plans and programs; and is accountable for their communication and implementation.
- Maintains accuracy and integrity of PeopleSoft (HR system of record for employee data)
- Manages OTPS and PS resources; identifies new needs and aligns them with business goals
- Serves as member of the local Joint Labor-Management Committee
- Ensures both facilities remain in compliance with all HR- related regulatory standards
- Works collaboratively with primary stakeholders to develop and implement best practice guidelines and protocols; maintains and shares key metrics that will be used to continually drive process improvements
- Assists in the prompt investigation and resolution of complaints
- Collaborates with Corporate Office Human Resources Division, Legal Affairs, Corporate Compliance, Labor Relations, Affirmative Action / EEO, Payroll Systems, Information Services, Department of Investigations, Conflict of Interest Board, Law Department, and facility Occupational Health Services Departments
- Implements NYC Health + Hospitals’ Personnel Orders and Pay Authorizations issued by Central Office
- Supports and validates HR related initiatives related to NYC Health + Hospitals’ strategic plan
- Split time (travel) between both facilities on a regular, weekly basis.
- Performs other related HR duties as assigned
1. A Baccalaureate Degree in Human Resources Management, Business/Hospital Administration, Public Administration Management, Psychology, Communications or related disciplines, and six years of related experience in human resource management, employee relations or development, of which at least four years are in responsible levels of administration or management; or,
2. A Master's in Human Resources Management, Business/Hospital Administration, Public Administration Management, Psychology, or Communications or related disciplines, and five years of related experience in human resources, employee relations or development, three years of which must have been in a responsible administrative, managerial or supervisory capacity; or,
3. A satisfactory combination of education, training and experience.
(Degrees must be from accredited colleges or universities)
- Must possess knowledge and understanding of federal, state, city, and local laws, ordinances, rules and regulations relevant to HR operations
- 3+ years of senior level HR leadership experience within a large organization (ideally healthcare)
- HR generalist experience to support full scope of HR knowledge
- Experience partnering and working collaboratively with department heads and senior level administrators
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft or similar HRIS platforms
- Ability to work in a diverse community
- Ability and experience working in a “lean Six Sigma” environment
- The Joint Commission, DOH, CMS, CAP, Wadsworth, and other regulatory survey management experience
- Advanced degree and certification in human resources (SHRM)