Department Chair and Associate Professor – Department of Health Management Systems (HMS)
The Duquesne University John G. Rangos, Sr. School of Health Sciences (RSHS) is seeking a dynamic, innovative, and visionary academic leader to assume the role of Chair of the Department of Health Management Systems (HMS). The Department of Health Management Systems (HMS) currently offers two degree programs: (1) Bachelor of Science in Health Management Systems and (2) Master of Health Management Systems and looks forward to expanding its outreach globally. This is a tenure-track/tenured, 12-month position which will begin July 1, 2018.
- Earned doctoral degree in healthcare administration, health information management, health informatics, business administration, public health, or related area.
- A minimum three to five years academic program administration and leadership experience in higher education in healthcare management.
- Demonstration of teaching excellence and scholarly productivity commensurate with a lead academic officer in a School and consistent with academic requirements of a tenure-track faculty member.
- Proven track record in CAHME accreditation and AUPHA certification.
- Knowledge and experience in designing and teaching both traditional and on-line undergraduate and graduate-level healthcare management courses in at least three of the following content areas:
- Healthcare economics and policy
- Human resources management
- Healthcare planning and marketing
- Healthcare leadership/management
- Strategic management
- Strong ability to maintain current affiliations and establish new affiliations within local, national, and international healthcare communities.
The Department Chair is responsible for the daily and ongoing direction and operation of the Department of HMS and all of the personnel associated with that Department. The HMS Chair also serves, at the pleasure of the Dean of the RSHS, as a member of Administrative Team for the School and is a voting member of the RSHS Executive Board. The administrative responsibilities of this position include:
- Work collaboratively with Department faculty, student advisors, and instructional administrators and staff to define and monitor the educational offerings of the Department.
- Take the lead with accreditation of the master’s program by CAHME and certification of the undergraduate program by AUPHA.
- Assign and secure appropriately qualified faculty for teaching responsibilities.
- Teach face-to-face and on-line undergraduate and graduate level courses in health management systems.
- Contribute to the scholarly body of health management education knowledge through scholarly publications and funded research.
- Oversee the work and advancement of full-time and adjunct faculty, staff, and students.
- Coordinate departmental program development, review processes, lead curricular review and changes, conducts and reports on the annual assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Participate in recruitment and marketing of the degree programs.
- Participate in accreditation activities within the Department and across the University.
- Responsibly manage departmental budgets.
- Mentor and oversee faculty growth and professional development.
- Communicate effectively in oral and written formats with administrators, faculty, staff, and students.
- Develop and expand appropriate alumni and community relationships.
- Participate in all appropriate student admissions activities.
- Participate in service at the Department, School, and University levels.
- Serve as a role model for students by service to the profession.
- Fulfill all other duties as assigned by the Dean, Provost, or President of the University.
Catholic in its mission and ecumenical in spirit, Duquesne University values equality of opportunity as an educational institution and as an employer. We aspire to attract and sustain a diverse faculty that reflects contemporary society, serves our academic goals and enriches our campus community. We particularly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups and support dual-career couples through our charter membership in this region’s HERC (http://www.hercjobs.org/oh-western-pa-wv/).
We invite applications for this position to learn more about our university and its Spiritan heritage by visiting http://www.duq.edu/about/mission-and-identity/mission-statement. Those invited to campus for an interview may be asked about ways in which they see their talents contributing to the continued growth our community and furthering its mission.
Deadline for Position Applications: The Search Committee will begin reviewing candidates immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Candidates should forward a letter of interest, addressing how the applicant meets the qualifications described in the job ad, curriculum vitae, and a list of three references with full contact information to http://apply.interfolio.com/45830.