Assistant Vice President (AVP) of Health Information Management (HIM)
The Assistant Vice President (AVP) of Health Information Management, while reporting directly to the Chief Revenue Officer (CRO), is responsible for overseeing all HIM functions including but not limited to inpatient and outpatient coding, ROI and record storage and clinical documentation improvement teams across NYC Health + Hospitals.
In addition, the AVP of HIM will be responsible for further developing the overseeing the centralization of applicable teams under the HIM umbrella. Centralization responsibilities include: assisting with centralization planning and communication, operational and organization design, staffing planning, recruiting, and onboarding, coding work in progress management, and development of Service Level Agreements (SLA). The AVP of HIM will be responsible for progress toward leading practice performance through performance improvement initiatives, risk mitigation efforts, and successful maintenance of health information management, coding, medical records, and clinical documentation improvement processes. Regular collaboration with the CRO, Finance, Managed Care, Compliance, Labor Relations, Human Resources, Clinical, Patient Accounting, Revenue Integrity Leadership, Facility Leadership, and IT Leadership will be critical to the role and overall success of NYC Health + Hospitals.
General responsibilities include:
- Lead and oversee direction and operations for the following key HIM functions: coding, clinical documentation improvement and medical records teams.
- Oversee development and deployment of processes and policies tailored to the NYC Health + Hospitals documentation improvement, coding, and legal health record, including physician education related to quality of health record documentation processes; ensure organization best practices.
- Develop and lead all HIM teams to achieve and sustain quality and revenue metrics which include but not limited to: Clinical Documentation Improvement, timely and accurate coding, HIM Data Integrity and Governance, HIM Compliance, timely and compliant ROI, financial metrics (DNFB, CFB).
- Oversee the management of responsibilities needed to meet defined SLA guidelines and establish communication to facility and central leadership allowing for compliance and completion of SLAs as well as transparent and accurate communication to leadership.
- Determine and monitor resources needed to optimally perform. Obtain necessary funding as needed when new resources are required
- Identify and develop strategies to improve all HIM functions processes and procedures, including supporting improvement of enabling technologies and strategic use of vendor partners; responsible for timely execution of HIM initiatives and priorities.
- Accountable for achievement and sustainability of all changes implemented, ensuring the successful completion of initiatives.
- Responsible for implementing and overseeing a single ROI process for all facilities.
- Collaborate with Clinical Leadership, Legal/Risk Management, Quality, and Compliance departments on professional documentation and legal practice standards, coding, regulatory, privacy, and security matters related to documentation improvement and coding processes.
- Collaborate with Clinical Leadership, Legal/Risk Management, Quality, and Compliance departments on Health + Hospitals responses to medical records documentation audits such as RAC, OMIG, Attorney General and other regulatory bodies.
- Identify, oversee and manage relationships with vendors related to CDI, Coding, Medical Records and Denial Management. Monitor compliance to contract, performance and operations.
- Monitor compliance with established processes, policies, and standards for documentation improvement, coding, and health record management, such as legal health record, coding and compliance policies, documentation terminology, documentation completion, scanning, transcription, and health information exchange. Establish and monitor compliance with indicators and reporting.
- Ensure proper reporting, collaboration, and communication is maintained between the Centralized Patient Accounting team(s), Patient Access, Revenue Integrity, Finance, and facility leadership and other key stakeholders as it pertains to performance
- Responsible for developing clearly defined team goals and objectives and the creation of key metrics and/or milestones to track and measure success.
- Develop and oversee implementation of the HIM organizational structure to meet the operational needs NYC Health + Hospitals including, but not limited the following key responsibilities: operational and organization design, communication, staffing planning, recruiting, and onboarding, coding work in progress management, and development of Service Level Agreements (SLA).
- Interviews and hires appropriate personnel to meet departmental goals and objectives.
- Monitors key performance metrics and drives improvement.
- Oversee the direction and development of the team to ensure effective growth and utilization of talent.
- Collaborate with the CRO, Finance, Managed Care, Compliance, Labor Relations, Human Resources, Clinical, Patient Accounting, Revenue Integrity Leadership, Facility Leadership, and IT Leadership
- Other related duties
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors in Hospital or Business Administration, Nursing or related field and 10 years acute care experience; or a Master’s degree in Hospital or Business Administration or related field or Nursing and 5 years acute care experience.
- 7+ years of leadership experience in a multi-facility, integrated health care delivery system or consulting experience
- Licensure/Certification: Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified Clinical Documentation Specialist (CCDS) or other recognized coding and CDS certification.
- Knowledge of electronic health records, preferably Epic.
- Knowledge of accounting systems and insurance issues, healthcare industry issues and trends, legal issues in field of expertise, required third party and governmental guidelines, and work processing.
- Demonstrated leadership skills; leads by example; promotes teamwork by fostering a positive, transparent and focused working environment which achieves maximum results
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational and project management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in negotiation of complex systems to affect change
- Proficiency in computer usage including database and spreadsheet analysis
- Understanding of organizational policies and procedures
- Extensive knowledge of regulatory systems
- Knowledge of Medicare Part A
This position requires about 25% travel to various NYC H+H facilities throughout NYC